Last night, as most nights, I went to bed and placed my 2018 iPhone (sitting primly at ~80% charge) on its wireless charging station.
This morning, as most mornings, I picked up my iPhone for my pre-leaving-bed Wordle, Crossword Mini and Sudoku.
However, the device did not turn on. Maybe the magnetic charger didn't work right last night...
So I plugged it in and dozed instead.
About an hour later, the glass remained colorless.
This mirror which holds my money. My transit pass. My health data. My most intimate of conversations.
I ducked around and and the ducks found me a scroll.
To bring a Blackened Apple Mirror back to shining color:
- Press and quickly release the volume up button.
- Press and quickly release the volume down button.
- Press and hold the side button.
- When the Apple logo appears, release the side button.
The incantation failed me. My release was too quick?
Or not quick enough? Were my fingers failing me?
A state of the art looking glass forged by Apple, Deity of FAANG, would not... could not fail a mere 5 years into its life?
My mortal-self must be at fault. But try as I might, the scroll brought no spark.
My heart dropped.
Apple's Care for their small mirrors extends for two years only.
Once past, it is your responsibility.
This looking glass had cost a month's rent!
1.5% of a years-wage!
And Apple's Care would extend only as far as my currency.
- Stylistic Intent: I was trying for a descent from normalcy into madness caused by the modern way of navigating recovering from failures of capitalism
- Format: #CreativeWriting, #NonFiction
- Genre: #PresentDay #SolarPunk
- Themes: #Humor #Technology #Degrowth
- Currently Reading: #DavidGraeber, #RiversSolomon
- Listening to: #Shakia
- State: #Stoned, #Socialized, #Gamed, #Exercised, #Fed, #Tipsy